Register a Marriage

You cannot get married or register a civil partnership at the moment because of coronavirus (COVID-19). If you’ve already booked a civil ceremony, contact the register office. This page will be updated when the situation changes.

What you need to do register a marriage

There are usually 2 steps to getting married or forming a civil partnership in England and Wales.

1. Give notice of your plans to get married at your local register office.

2. Have a religious ceremony or civil ceremony at least 28 days after giving notice.

There may be different steps for some religious ceremonies.

How to give notice of a marriage at your local register office

For most marriages or civil partnerships you must give at least 28 full days’ notice at your local register office.

You need to include details of where you intend to get married or form a civil partnership. Your notice will be publicly displayed in the register office for 28 days.

You may also need to give notice here if you plan to marry or form a civil partnership abroad. Ask the overseas authority if you’ll need a ‘certificate of no impediment’.

Contact your local register office to make an appointment.

You can only give notice at a register office if you have lived in the registration district for at least the past 7 days.

There are different rules for religious ceremonies.

You must get married or register your civil partnership within one year, or 3 months if you’re in Scotland.

Find your local register office.